The Making Of // Kelly Anorak // Part 2

 Kelly-Anorak-The-Wearable-Studio

I know it's been a while and my 'slow-sewing' project has indeed been super sloooowww for reasons I shall explain below.However, I can happily report that I am finally making progress with my Kelly Anorak and I thought I'd share a quick update with you! 

The first stumbling block along this sewing journey happened when I realised that I had traced and cut the wrong size. After hours of tracing, cutting and sewing a toile, I was completely disheartened. Initially I cut the size 10, but it was a little tight around the chest so I need to go up a size.  It was entirely my own fault because when I checked the sizing again, the bust measurement of size 10 was clearly too small for my 95cm bust. Needless to say, a break to recover from this frustration was required before I could muster the energy to trace all 19 pattern pieces again! 

Secondly, I am currently knee deep in developing The Wearable Studio's first PDF pattern which hasbeen consuming most of my spare 'sewing' time and it has been difficult to find time to fit in any selfish sewing. 

And finally, I also got engaged around this time and was entirely side tracked by all the things I wanted to sew for the wedding. Don't get too excited, I won't be making my wedding dress! I don't think that I could with an all-consuming project like that along with everything else that comes with planning a wedding. So in summary, as I am sure many of you can too relate, time is the most precious and finite commodity. 

Anyways back to Kelly... I decided to underline this coat 1) for the added warmth and 2) I had never underlined a garment to this extent before and as I mentioned in the Part 1, I love projects that teach me new skills.  I followed the instructions in this post on the Closet Case Patterns blog.  

I cut all the main fabric pieces in one day and all the underlining fabric in another. It was a laborious process especially when cutting is my least favourite task but when I was done, I was so excited to finally start construction. The underlining is really simple - you just baste all like pieces together within the seam allowances then sew the garment up as normal.

This is a project chock full of new construction techniques for me and I loved the satisfaction of accomplishing each step. It sounds super nerdy but I am often thrilled by how pattern pieces come together in such clever and seamless ) ways (no pun intended.

Inserting the hardware ( kit purchased from Closet Case Patterns) for the anorak was a little daunting but with the help of this tutorial, it wasn't scary at all.  I was pretty happy with my first efforts but am still yet to install the centre front snaps.

 HARDWARE KIT PURCHASED FROM CLOSET CASE PATTERNS FOR THE KELLY ANORAK

HARDWARE KIT PURCHASED FROM CLOSET CASE PATTERNS FOR THE KELLY ANORAK

 Kelly-Anorak-The-Wearable-Studio
 Kelly-Anorak-The-Wearable-Studio
 Kelly-Anorak-The-Wearable-Studio
 Kelly-Anorak-The-Wearable-Studio

 

Stay tuned for Part 3 to see the final version and full review of the Kelly Anorak.

Follow us on Instagram or sign up to our newsletter to get the latest updates.

The Making Of // Kelly Anorak // Part 1